Friday, June 19, 2009

HAPPY SWEDISH MIDSUMMER...

Today is Swedish Midsummer... celebrated by all Swedes near and far...
We do all sorts of strange things on this day, dance around the May Pole, sleep with flowers under our pillow (if we are single girls), eating strawberry cake, raw herring and wonderful sandwich cake with shrimp on top...Candy is a must and I travel to Ikea to get my loot. Swedish chocolate, Swedish fish and cars...

This is my flag, is it not beautiful swaying in the sunny California weather... heard from Sweden today that most of the country had some pretty nasty weather. That is one good thing about celebrating it here...
I am cooking and baking as I am writing this... taking pictures of some plants...
and the vegetable I need to chop next for the sandwich cake... I don't have a picture to show you since it is not done yet and when our guests come it will be consumed before I have a chance to snap away... :) I have to keep a leash on my son (he is 19 and 6 feet 6 in tall, eating me out of the house) since he is taking nibbles of everything I am cooking so have to run...

Happy Midsummer to all Swedish or not...

3 comments:

Migraine Chick said...

The strawberry cake sounds yummy. What is a Kex?

Joy said...

Hey Jeanette, Happy Swedish Midsummer!! Hope you had a fab time; yummy food... Children! You'd think we never fed them, the way they're always nosing around for something to eat ;o)
Glad you liked the roses. We've got a few, courtesy of the people who owned the house before us & they thrive, thanks to hubby. If it were down to me, they'd all be dead!
Hope your daughter's all recovered now. x

Jeanette Carlstrom said...

A KEX is the best Swedish chocolate you ever tasted... melts in your mouth... MMmmmm :)