Sunday, March 29, 2009

Art Lesson for grades 3-5


This is one of my most asked for Art Lessons...

I call it "FALLING" and it can really contain just about any one of the Art Elements...

Just look at the pattern on the tennis shoes....the lines, color and space...

I tell the kids to look scared out their minds...they are falling....expressions on their faces...

This is how you do it :

  • Large white paper
  • pencils
  • media of your choice, here we used crayons
  • Sample of you own "falling" person, the kids love this

I start the class by showing my ART... we discuss how and why it looks like the person is falling or standing on glass. We then partner up with the person to your right. If I let the kids find their own partner it will be lunchtime and dinner before it happens.

We gather in a circle with me in the middle on the floor using one student as the "guinea pig" tracing his/her feet first. I then trace the hands slightly overlapping the feet. I go on by showing the kids how to draw the head and body telling them this is NOT a lesson in figure drawing and that we do NOT have to worry about proportion.

The "guinea pig" is asked to look super scared like he/she is falling from
an airplane...and I tell them to look at what the eye brows do when you look scared etc. We look at the lines on the palms of our hands and try to trace them as accurately as we can.
The soles of our shoes have the best patterns and repetition.... just look at your own. I tell the kids if their pattern is "boring" just design your own.

The students will take it from here... and the results are amazing every single time.

Let me know if you try this and how you like it....

No comments: